Friday, July 20, 2007

Let's start at the beginning...

Hi, I'm John Bramblitt and welcome to my blog.
I suppose you're wondering what this blog is about, I don't really know I've ever had a blog before - there will definitely be some art, some writing and other things like that going on. I'm expecting some guest appearances from my wife, family and friends- perhaps even some people that I don't know will pop in. Who knows? This is my first time, but we should really get started.
All we need is a beginning, just something to get the ball rolling. Anything really - just some sort of ramble. Doesn't even have to be that coherent just so long as it’s short -- we are the TV generation after all. Just something that goes on and on about nothing at all. Some sort of rant that just lets people know that we have started, that the blog in fact has begun... you know like in those old black-and-white movies where the father would walk up to the fireplace and put his foot up on the hearth and his arm on the mantle while the family gathered round him gazing up expectantly waiting for the words of wisdom that were sure to follow... OR how the hero in an action movie who may have only spoken five words in the last two hours turns his blood spattered face to the camera and explains how all he wants is peace.
Something like that...
Nope, I'm drawing a blank; maybe we'll start this thing later.

4 Comments:

At July 20, 2007 at 3:34 PM , Blogger Tales from the pineapple said...

I am curious about your new painting style where you are expermenting with not using the slick paint. How do you feel that is affecting your paintings and what made you start that? Do you think you will continue to paint that way?

 
At July 20, 2007 at 3:58 PM , Blogger John Bramblitt said...

Painting is a great way to tell a story or express a message and from the very beginning I wanted to be careful that everything that I said on a canvas was intentional. Drawing with slick paint is a great way to map out a painting to serve as reference points later on. I have been experimenting with using the oil paint to draw with and this has been very liberating. I can do this now because after working with the same paints for several years now I know how they will respond to the canvas and react to the other paints that I will put down later. This lets me build color up much faster and to get a greater variety of values and Hues. I could not have done this before because the paints would have blended in unintentional ways which would have corrupted the message that I was trying to send with the painting. Now though, while I will still continue to use a slick paint, I love the new freedom that drawn with oils has given me.

 
At October 28, 2007 at 7:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a great artist, much better than me. I have started doing the type of pop art that you do in my art class and you are way better! I was wondering is it frusterating not to be able to see your paintings?

 
At March 16, 2009 at 3:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

John- You must remain strong - the world is watching you. For you have opened the eyes of so many.
Many people are lost, lonely, confused and with your gift - we can "see" again what is really important. John - you give us hope.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home